Christ Church on the Common

The Episcopal Church in Gardiner, Maine

History

Christ Church on the Common is the oldest Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Maine.  Organized in 1771 by Sylvester Gardiner, a major landowner after whom the city is named, the original church was dedicated to St. Ann.  Our current building dates from 1820 and was designed by the Reverend Samuel Farmer Jarvis in what was called the “Gothick” style, the first of its kind in New England.  Christ Church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

The Paul Revere bell in the steeple no longer sounds for fires, floods and temperance meetings, but continues to call people for Sunday worship,  and the 1820 bannerette weathervane atop the 120 ft. steeple still guides the way to the “Old Stone Church.’

For 246 years Episcopalians have gathered here to bear witness to the love of God for all people.  As an active congregation today, we invite you to join us in faithful worship and compassionate outreach in Gardiner and beyond.

Christ Church – Gardiner, Maine | A member of The Episcopal Diocese of Maine, The Episcopal Church, and the Worldwide Anglican Communion